Thursday, May 17, 2012

My ear vs the Roach

A travel plan is an oxymoron.
No travel, no matter how well you plan it, is going to go completely according to plan.
Flights will be cancelled, trains will be delayed, restaurants will close by the time you reach, car tires will go bust, a stomach flu may find you, or a cockroach could climb into your ear.

Yes, true story. It happens. It did happen. To me. Very far away from home. Or a hospital. Or my mummy.

I was in the middle of a travel assignment in Meghalaya. We'd reached Cherrapunjee late evening, and the hotel was on a beautiful hill, in the middle of... nowhere. Ironic how that particular bit had appealed to me immensely before a cockroach mistook my ear for its home.

We were visiting in the middle of summer but Cherra (as it is fondly called), was showing off. No longer the wettest place on Earth? I'll show them. That sort of thing. It had been an exhausting day, with a full trek in the rain and some hail thrown in for good measure. I couldn't wait to sleep, so I asked for dinner to be sent to the room. After a few bites, I left the rest on the table. A BIG mistake. I was after all, in the wilderness, and should have been slightly more mindful of bugs, but I went off to sleep under a bundle of mattresses almost immediately after.

See how pretty. Not that I got to enjoy any of it
It happened at around 5:30 in the morning. In hindsight, I can see it as a scene in a movie. The small roach making its way over the mattress. Approaching the ear. Audiences gasping, covering their eyes, cringing, hopelessly telling the sleeping form on the screen to wake up, as it pauses over the opening of the ear...

I felt this horrible muffled scratching, scraping in my left ear, and I jerked up in bed, bewildered, still not fully awake, with an extremely strange sensation in the left side of my face. The room seemed to sway for a second as I shook my head. And then a feeling of horror as I instinctively knew what had happened. Oh god, oh god, there's a bug in my ear, I thought, as the scuffling continued. I was hoping, so so so hoping it was just the altitude and wax, but when I moved to get up, the scuffling increased, and I let out a whimper. Jeez, what was it? I tried tapping on the right ear, so if it was on the brink, it could fall out, but that sort of frightened it, and it started to flap around. I yelped in pain and fright. The pain, combined with the flapping sound in my ear! YUCKS!

I sat, slowly, with as little movement as possible and called L, the photographer in the next room. I took deep breaths, and said, feigning calm, "L, can you come out, please? I think there's a bug in my ear." Slight pause. Understandable. "Inside your ear???" Another pause. I waited, shockingly patient. "Coming," he said. I got up, again, very slowly, and as if in slow motion, switched on the torch, and swept the light across the room. I knew, I don't know how, exactly what it was, but I wanted to be sure. And there, sure enough, in the corner of the room, near the food, was a tiny group of small roaches. Not the massive ones, the small, long, gross ones. It was a horrible moment, for anyone, but let me take a second to tell you why it was more so for me.

I hate roaches. No no, it's not the girlie I-am-so-afraid-of-roaches fear. It's a deep phobic fear. I am mortally frightened of them. It is a paralysing fear. One that I am battling with continually. I have abandoned trains, buses, cars (one I was driving, yes) because of these darned creatures. They seem to smell my fear and single me out to torment. Always. So. Back to the story. 

I met L at the door, who was still groggy with sleep, "What happened?" "There's a bug in my ear," I said. I think he expected hysterics, so did I, so this matter-of-factness gave him hope. "Let me see," he said. Gratefully, I let him peer into my ear, turning my head this way and that. "I can't see anything. Maybe it's gone?" he asked. "No, unfortunately, I can feel it," I said. We stood there, in our nightclothes, in the cold and I could tell he didn't think it was a bug. Suddenly, a gust of wind blew in our direction and the insect flapped helplessly, making me double over in pain, with a "Oh God, what the EFF!" This alarmed L considerably, bug or no bug, and he ushered me hastily back into the room and closed the door.

I slow-motioned to the bed, the wretched creature calmed down and the pain paused. God, this was the grossest thing ever to have happened, I thought. "I'll call AL," L said. "He'll know what to do." AL was our guide for the trip. Yes, I thought. AL would come through. An extremely jolly sort of fellow with a great love for drink, a good time and all things Khasi, AL was madly well-connected. Too much so... by evening all of Shillong knew my encounter with the roach (no exaggeration). While he dialled, I called Mansi, my brother's wife. "Maan, there's a cockroach in my ear, Maan," I said pitifully, relieved that I was finally telling someone who would understand the enormity of a roach bullying me. Mansi is a fire-fighter. A cool head, but for a few minutes, there was full blown panic. How did it happen? A ROACH??? REALLY? AAAAHHHH! That sort of thing. "I am calling the doctor, you hang in there, I am on it," she hung up. She called back with notes immediately: find a hospital. In the absence of that, pour hot mustard oil in your ear. It will die and float out." Hmm, I thought, hospital. Definitely hospital. She hung up with a pep talk, and told me to continue to be calm. I doubt I was calm. I think I was in denial. Jeez, YUCKS!

L handed the phone to me. "AL," he said. I took the phone, cringing at the slight movement in my ear, and talked to an extremely sleepy and hungover AL. "AL, I have a bug in my ear. Where can we find a doctor?" AL waited for this information to seep through the layers of alcohol-induced sleep. I think the only word he actually grasped was doctor. "We can go to the market at 9 and check with the local guy if he can help us. Would you like some tea?" he asked cheerfully. Tea? IF he can help? I think in my bid to appear calm, I was ending up doing too good a job. I took a deep breath. "AL, I have an insect, probably a roach, lodged inside my ear. I cannot wait for three hours to visit a local quack and for him to pour oil in my ear. I need a clinic, or a hospital. Now." This seemed to rouse everyone into motion. AL said, "I'll check and call you."

AL came to the door. I got up in anticipation and regretted in instantly. AL and L looked on in dismay while I bent over with "OW!" as the poor insect fought valiantly to escape. AL, now all business, said, "We can either go to the doctor's house in Cherra or drive to Shillong, 2 hours away." L, a local Shillong boy, spoke Khasi fluently. "Shillong," we both said. No contest. AL called the driver and declining his suggestion of a merry breakfast with an incredulous look, L and I left for Shillong.

In the car, L and I looked at each other. I could tell he wanted to laugh. "Does it still hurt?" he asked instead. I gingerly shook my head. Nothing. I did it again, slightly firmly. Nothing. It had died. Inside my ear. I could feel it still, a weight, now dead, in my ear. I was wrong. This was the grossest thing to have ever happened, I thought gloomily. L kept me distracted all the way to Shillong with stories about Meghalaya, friends I didn't know, cats he'd seen, anything at all. Now that the thing had died, my ear wasn't hurting, I just had to deal with how disgusting this situation was. YUCKS!

We reached Shillong in record time and pulled into Bethany Hosiptal. L spoke to the doctor in Khasi as I stood quietly by. Till now, I had not concentrated on this part at all. In the car, I had gratefully listened to L but now, I would have to face this. Would they pull it out? What if it was too deep? Oh god. And YUCKS! I did not miss the amused look the doctor shot in my direction during the conversation. He took me to the OPD immediately, sat me down and flashed a torch in my ear. Yes, he confirmed. It is a bug. A roach. I didn't realise until then that though I knew it was a roach, a part of me was hoping he'd say, what? NO, it's just wax! Tut tut, silly child. Go home, now.

Damn. This thing had now been inside my ear for 5 hours.

"Please just get it out of me," I said resolutely. "Even if I scream, or cry or hit you, please just ignore me and just get it out." The doctor brought a set of clinical tweezers. Feeling supremely sorry for myself, I closed my eyes and clasped my hands together. I felt the cold metal in my ear and tensed as the doctor reached in and pulled. There were a few seconds of pain after which he pulled away and said, "I can't take this out. It is too deep inside." And then promptly turned away and started to speak to the nurse in Khasi.

"Wait!" I squeaked. "You can't take it out?? So then what??" The doctor held his arms up in a whoa, chill lady manner and said, "I mean, I can't remove it with this. I need larger tweezers." Oh, well, he should finish his sentences, no? How was I supposed to know? I settled back into my seat with as much dignity as I could muster. L was by now quite tickled by this adventure. The tweezers arrived and then the doctor wasted no time. "Brace yourself," he said. Like I had to be told. I don't think I'd relaxed my shoulders or exhaled since 5:30am. He plunged the metal in, I felt a tug, some pain that lasted for a few seconds and with a whoosh, it was out!

I didn't look at it, I didn't want to, but I knew it was big, because when the doctor pulled it out, both L and the nurse collectively said, "Oh, JEE-SUSS!" L said I should keep it as a reminder. I looked at him as if he'd sprouted two heads. Was he mad? I was in no danger of forgetting this. No matter how much I tried. The doctor gave me antibiotics so I would be infection-free and as soon I returned to Mumbai a few days later, I went to an ENT and got everything checked and cleaned.

See the second line. It says, "Insect gone inside ear". Haha.
L and I went to his house from the hospital, where we were both hysterical with laughter about what had happened. Once my friends heard, they were all sorry for me for around two seconds before the roach jokes started. "What if it's laid eggs and you have loads of baby roaches in your ear in a few weeks?" EW. Or "What if its friends come get you?" Or "Arre wah, inke liye toh ab tumhara kaan hi kaafi hain!"

Oh, ha ha, very funny. I hung up on them.

My ear had been through enough for one day.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Empathic pat on the back my friend.